- Career Coaching
- About Clarity
- Discovery Session
Posts Tagged overcoming fear
When it comes to making a big change in your life, a major stumbling block for many people is fear of the unknown.Â
When we are moving away from something we have known for a long time, for example changing jobs, we are moving outside our comfort zone.Â We often feel fear (can also be labelled as anxiousness or nervousness) and this fear can be paralysing, hence we stick with our lot.
You may already be familiar with Susan Jeffers book, â€œFeel the Fear and Do It Anyway,â€ an excellent read (maybe if you are at a loose end over the Christmas holidays…) as it gives you ways of dealing with this fear.
Below I have very briefly summarised five truths about fear to help you overcome your fears.
- Truth 1: As you continue to do new things in your life, you will always experience fear.
- Fear is part and parcel of doing new things.Â If you are sitting about and waiting until the fear has gone, you will wait a long time. Disappointing I know, fear will always be there but you need to learn to let go of getting rid of it.
- Truth 2: To get rid of fear you need to go out and do whatever it is you are afraid of!
- â€œDoing itâ€ comes before the fear goes away i.e. once you have faced the unknown and survived, the fear passes.Â And, your confidence of doing new things grows.
- Truth 3: â€œDoing itâ€ is the only way you will feel better about yourself.
- When you have mastered something the fear goes and your confidence grows. You will feel good and, maybe even decide to something else too!
- Truth 4: Not only are you afraid when facing the unknown, so is everyone else!
- This should be a relief. You are not the only one out there feeling fear. Everyone feels fear when taking a step into the unknown. Yes, all those people who have succeeded in doing what they have wanted to do in life have felt the fear – and did it anyway. So can you!
- Truth 5: Overcoming the fear is less frightening than living with the fear that comes from a feeling of helpless!
- This is difficult to accept but when you push through the fear, you will feel such a sense of relief as your feeling of helplessness subsides. You will become more and more aware that you can truly handle anything that life hands you.
In summary, you canâ€™t escape the fear of doing something new. Itâ€™s a normal feeling.Â People who donâ€™t take risks in life live with a feeling of dread that keeps them standing still.Â This is far worse than if they were to take the risks needed to make them less helpless.